Tuesday, October 07, 2003

Well, y'know, it's cold out now. And my hands are cold *right now*. aaagh. I had briefly forgotten about winter. People talk about how they love the changing of seasons, the clear definition of summer into fall into winter, etc. Does this clarity of weather, this compartmentalising really help me though? No. I'd like a nice homogenous-type climate, please. That's where I'm from and that's what I like. ah, well, maybe I'll like winter better this year. haha.

I've been really busy. School, editing, etc. And last weekend was the Pop Montreal festival, so I saw a lot of bands for four nights in a row. I loved it all. If only life were always like that. Well, I guess it would be if I lived in New York and had some kind of music-critic gig that allowed me access to every show. Or if I were rich.

I bought the new Belle and Sebastian album today. And it's good! I was hesitant for some reason. Worried that it would disappoint. It does not. It's just damn fun. And it reminds me of a lot of bands I associate with good times, or growing up, or friends, happiness, you know. Like The Who, Fleetwood Mac, The Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys, The Beatles, Phil-Spector soul-pop, all those big ones that made it into my childhood and therefore I cannot criticize b/c they're too close to this heart o' mine.

Ah, also, yesterday I saw The Aisler's Set and Yo La Tengo. Greatness! People ask me why I go to so many shows, why I like going to shows, questions whose answers I think are evident to all music lovers. Well, this show and Pop Montreal are good answers. It's that live-music *feeling*. The lights, the music, the crowd, the personalities of the band members, all of it. I mean, for one song James and Georgia were doing hand movements and twirls while Ira sang.

in other news, i need to buy a new walkman. this walking around and being on public transit music-less is getting to me. i thought i'd buy a cd walkman, but now i think i'm just going to go for the old tape-style and say hello to e-bay for that purchase. ooh, e-bay. i can feel the addiction forming already...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home