Sunday, June 08, 2003

A word (or a thousand words) about Television (the medium, the technology, that is).

Sometimes when I'm talking I'll sometimes end up talking about television, whether it be tv shows, the act of tv watching, the craptasticness of my television set technology, whatever. And sometimes I'll preface the tv talk with "Maybe you don't watch tv, but..." as kind of a disclaimer. Like a way to show I "understand" if someone doesn't watch tv and may not be able to "relate" to what I'm about to go on (and possibly on) about. But really, this is just a front, an intellectual ruse. What I'm really thinking is, "If you don't watch tv, well, you're missing out. Boy, who doesn't watch tv? Why wouldn't you watch tv? What's Your Problem?" and things like that. Because at some point in the past, somewhere between the middle of second year university and the end of my first year of working Full Time, I didn't watch very much tv. Yes, I only had two channels really, and they were fuzzy, but I also felt tv was somewhat below me. Now, I may have "felt" that way, but I certainly didn't "believe" in that silliness. I'm so on par with television it's not even funny.

Ah, television. Television is an essential part of my Wasting Time Efficiently (Grand) Master (Flash) Plan (tm). I don't even have cable. I have three (sometimes four) channels in English and four channels in French. I tell you though, that's *a lot* of tv. When I'm in the mood to watch tv, it's like a galaxy of options. When I'm not in the mood to watch tv, it distracts me for a few minutes and then I give up on it. You see, I understand the strength of television. And it is only as strong as its viewer. That's right, I am not weak when I watch tv, no, I am strong b/c I am In Control. I choose not to watch tv shows, but to watch tv, the thing. In doing that, my time flies by. It becomes tv's time. tv and me, we're all symbiotic n' shit. Perhaps an example will illustrate what I mean here: Yesterday night, while not reading for class and preparing presentation for Tuesday, I turned on the tv. A show called "Mysterious Ways" was on. It's totally bad and therefore good and has managed to last over two seasons. Also, it's filmed in Vancouver (and area). So I watched that. Sometimes it makes me cry b/c of the Miracles it illustrates. People in hospital, people discovering their soul mates, people finding Spiritual Strength. Also, Rae Dawn Chong is in it. Usually Mutant X comes on after this show, but not last night. Which is unfortunate b/c Mutant X is also a really bad but great show (even though it's filmed in Toronto, not Vancouver.) So, in my never-ending quest to Waste Time Efficiently, I flipped the channel* and found that the movie "Scream" was playing on one of the French Channels.

French channels are great for showing fairly recent and okay/supergreat-on-a-Saturday-night-when-you-should-be-studying movies. In French, the movie is called "Frissons". I love that.

I guess the key for me when it comes to watching tv is never to think about all the other things I could have done during the time it took to watch whatever the hell it was that I was watching. This is just a very Wrong trajectory to follow when thinking about television. It's kind of like physics. Well, it's kind of about relativity and time. You know, Television Time is not like Reading Time or Showering Time or Making Out with a Cute Boy Time. All of these things illustrate the very relativity of time wasting/spending. I need not go into the highly scientific and rigourously researched equations on the matter.

Hm. It seems that what has happened is that I had too much coffee today. And too much sunshine. But hey, it inspired me to write a blawg entry, so that combination can't be all bad. Not bad at all.

*flipping channels is essential to watching tv. You are not truly watching tv unless you are flipping channels. I'm such an expert at it that I don't even need a remote control. No, I get up and flip the channel. That is how dedicated I am to the act of watching tv (not the amateur act of merely watching tv shows, oh no.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home