Wednesday, May 07, 2003

This summer I am going to improve my currently sad French. I have been watching French tv, which is helping my comprehension, but I still find speaking and understanding in public really difficult. I mean, French on tv is pretty clear and enunciated. French in Montreal is slurred and full o' slang. Not to diss it - it just makes it much harder to understand for someone who's been trained on the west coast in Parisian French. So for all of July I'm going on a program (paid for by the government! hurrah!) to immerse my anglo-ass in French. I'm going to Moncton, New Brunswick, and even though it's not Quebec (where I am now, and still French-impaired), it's the only officially bilingual province in Canada (trivia!) and apparently the community 'spies' on the program kids and if they hear you speaking English you will be Reported to the Authorities. So, I figure if I can stay drunk the whole time I'll definitely be able to stick with the French. Because that's what seems to happen when I'm drunk. If only the government would pay for booze.

Oh, c'mon now though, I am not like that. I am a keener, a learner, a hitter of the books not the bottle.
I'm taking a bit of a book break at the moment though b/c the semester just ended and the next one begins in a week. I've only been reading "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" and the nutritional content labels of packaged food. Oh, and Things on the Internet, but pfft, yeah. I even watched "American Idol" tonight. Yes, I was making dinner at the same time, but how much does one really have to "watch" that show as much as listen and rush into the livingroom when Simon says anything so as to better perfect my imitation of an imitiation of whatever/whoever he's imitating. I think he may be a robot. Or at least have some robot parts that are being controlled via satellite. By more robots. "The Osbornes" was great though and I feel that they are all very much human in both sad and happy ways. Sad = Ozzy's obvious nerve damage, Sharon's colon cancer, Kelly's singing, Jack's Inflated Sense of Rejection. Happy = Ozzy's hair, Sharon's hair, Kelly's hair, Jack's braces. hahaha. I should go to sleep.

Another good band is: Manitoba. The province however, well, I cannot be so kind in my assessment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home